Who does not own T-shirts? Like, really? They have been in the market since time immemorial and are undoubtedly one of the most flexible forms of clothing. T-shirts come in many types, colors, designs and you can couple them with many other forms of top clothing, bottom clothing, and accessories. The possibilities are endless! However, we have mostly overlooked the facts about this amazing type of clothing.
You would for sure not to know the following fun facts regarding T-shirts! Maybe, you will admire it even more now!
- The T-shirt evolved almost from underwear! Back in the 1920s, people used to cut pieces of cloth, such as long underwear and suits to create smaller pieces of clothing that are known as T-shirts today.
- At the time of writing this article, the greatest number of T-shirts worn at a single time is a whopping 257! The record-holder is a Sri Lankan named Sanath Bandara.
- How much do you spend on an average for a T-shirt? $10? $20 if it is of great quality? Did you know that there is a T-shirt available for $400,000? It belongs to the brand, Superlative Luxury, and the T-shirt is claimed to have been made completely from solar energy without the emission of CO2. Also, the center of the T-shirt has 16 diamonds.
- If you think that the maximum T-shirt size available is XXXL, stop there! The largest T-shirt in the world is mind-boggling, 300 feet long and 200 feet in width!
- There is even a day to celebrate T-shirts. It is called the International T-shirt day and it is observed on June 21.
- T-shirts are not made of just common materials like cotton and polyester. There are some strange materials used! Some of them include landfill waste, gold, human hair, and even leather!
- The first T-shirt produced for promotion was for the Wizard of Oz and this was in 1939.
- On the other hand, Coca – Cola was the first company to do T-shirt brand promotion and they popularized it alot during the 1980s. It was the movie stars, James Dean, John Wayne, etc. who wore T-shirts and popularized it. Before them, it was considered a piece of underwear!
- The first time the word ‘T-shirt’ appeared was in the Fitzgerald Novel, ‘The Side of Paradise.’
- Initially, T-shirt clothing was considered to be suitable and worn only by men. But eventually, some brands started with producing women T-shirts and unisex clothing.
- Did you also know that it takes a huge amount of yarn, 6 miles in length, to make one T-shirt. On the other hand, only 1 acre of cotton is needed to produce 1000 T-shirts!
Well, these are some of the most amazing facts about T-shirts! There are tons of other facts to know about the humble piece of clothing!